Question: When is the Sun repressed?
The Solar aspect of the personality is the Divine Fire and it is symbolic of how our light shines out into the world. It represents consciousness or the conscious personality and denotes the outer expression of an individual. A life’s purpose can be described by this energy in the horoscope. If interpreted in the Jungian sense as meaning one’s whole self, then the Sun holds a pivotal role and illuminates issues to do with a person’s self-image. As we get older, we come more into contact with who we are becoming and it can describe where we want to be recognized, and everybody longs to feel special, unique and individual. In the case of severe repression, an astrologer would turn their eyes towards the two heavyweights of the horoscope – Saturn and Pluto. These planets in aspect to the Sun make it extremely difficult for the person to truly shine. Psychologically it inclines the soul to continuously be on guard, and if joy enters the life and they feel their spirit begin to lift, along with the radiant, beautiful glow of the personality about to shine through, sometimes a curious wave of self-consciousness takes over, or darkness and the individual scurries back into the shadows, where it’s safe. Saturn and Pluto can create major blockages in an individual’s life, hindering and obstructing desires and sucking up all potentiality.
Below is more information on how Saturn and Pluto work in the birth chart:
- Both Saturn and Pluto are two dark lords in astrology. In myth, Pluto rules the dark underworld, ruling over the dead and the unborn. This god rules over the aspect of fate, and there is a certain intractability about its course. As the planet of death, the only release for Sun-Pluto people is to change into a new form, experience a self-confrontation and move into a boundless life.
- Both Saturn and Pluto are figures of beasts ruling the devilish and both lead the individual into darkness, depression, misery, and despair. It is suffering, and there is great ‘hidden potential’, available growth and wisdom.
- Transformation can be gained, but the journey is a great ordeal for these people. Sun-Saturn and Sun-Pluto types have tough archetypal images to process, and sometimes it is hard for the light to find a way into their world.
- It can place Sun-Saturn and Sun-Pluto in tough situations, and it can frustrate their desires constantly, leading up to lots of unexpressed energy.
- Sigmund Freud believed that repressed emotions never die. They are buried alive and will come forth later in uglier ways.
Here is some explanation on the meaning of pain:
- In Sun-Pluto, there is an inferno of energy building up within ready to erupt.
- Saturn is weighted down by fears and anxieties.
- The journey towards the light of individuality and towards greater consciousnesses is a massive struggle.
- We all have some frustrated wants and desires, but imagine being psychically aligned to Saturn or Pluto for one’s whole life.
- We often find the collapse of identity through Sun-Pluto, everything can be burned to the ground. The energy can be self-destructive, and the person may not be able to control this powerful obsessive drive. Sometimes it accumulates into some large loss involving something most valued, deeply desired and loved. Something within must die in order to free the soul from their emotional obsession.
- Traditionally, pain, fear, sorrow, etc, are intelligently thought to relate to our spiritual education and so these individuals must tread through discomfort, torment, trial and tribulation to find this higher place.
- Alice Bailey placed great emphasis on this Mystery of Pain.
More information on repression and darkness:
- Sun-Saturn is linked to loneliness and isolation, reminding us of a lonely man or woman driven deep into self-examination.
- Saturn and Pluto in aspect to the Sun can create intense introversion, hiding in the shadows of life.
- Both are dealing with the massive shadow material.
- Psychologically, it can break a man down into complete darkness, hopelessness, and despair.
- Once they find their great center and find what is real and true, dig deep and find their inner purpose everything changes for these people. The movement towards some goal, purpose and justification for being alive will see them rising from the ashes, erupting from the depths with a transformed sense of inner meaning (Pluto).
- Life turns around. Repression has taught them great endurance in the face of life’s struggles, emotional tests, and adversity (Saturn).
- When the world is seen with brand new eyes, there is a great healing power, freedom and release. Once the soul overcomes feelings of rage, jealousy, bitterness, and frustration, all of this great repression unleashes with incredible force.
- Sun-Saturn and Sun-Pluto people are personalities constantly under construction work, everything is demolished, and new buildings are forged.
Repressed Sun Signs
- Regarding repressed sun signs, they are Capricorn and Scorpio ruled by Saturn and Pluto.
- According to Liz Greene, Capricorn folks have a lot of repressed emotions, dreams, and fantasies, she also refers to this as the bondage of the senex – the bondage to Saturn.
- Scorpio has been regarded by many as a gloomy sign, cold and wintry.
- The Scorpion will often carry pain, drama and crisis, and much of the personality is kept under wraps, protecting their deep vulnerability.
Repressed Solar Houses
- Concerning astrological houses the 8th and the 12th house can be areas where energy is difficult and results in blockages.
- The Sun in the 8th house indicates a life of great heights and depths and it deals with transformative experiences involving a cleansing of one’s life, unblocking shameful feelings and letting go of old attitudes and attachments blocking their way.
- In the 12th house, repression is mostly due to it being the house of confinement, guilty feelings, and sacrificial qualities.
- There is often a feeling of being overlooked.
- Or even putting individual needs aside for others.
- We might not say it is necessarily blocked it could also be best termed as energy vanishing, as it is difficult to get a firm sense of self.
- The 12th house is where one feels ignored or there is an early message conveyed making the individual feel guilty or wrong for expressing their individuality (Sun).
- Sometimes it is just a sense of not feeling validated.